The word ‘Malware’ is actually the combination of the words ‘Malicious’ and ‘Software’. It is developed to hinder normal computer operation, to collect information that violates privacy,to gain illegal access to system resources and to perform other harmful operations. Generally Malware consists of vast range of malicious software, like Trojans, Viruses, Worms, Spywares, Rootkits, Botnets, Adware, etc. By nature Malware is intruding and belligerent. Sometimes it works sneakily as Rootkit does and sometimes it operates overtly like fake system alerts. A common wrong perception is that the defective software and Malware are one and the same. But this is no true. Though both have harmful effects, but defective software is actually a legal software with less harmful bugs while the Malware is illegitimate software with severe hazardous outcomes. Network support is required for removal of both defective software and Malware.
Brief History Of Malware
The first infamous Malware was Internet Worm, which started harming the VAX BSD and SUN Operating Systems since 1988. Before internet became popular, Malwares used to spread on computers by corrupting the boot sector of floppy disks. But this Internet Worm utilized the loopholes in the network server program and started to run as an independent process. When the Microsoft Windows became the most widely used operating system in the early 1990s, the macros of its applications were used to develop Malwares. Nowadays most of the Malwares are developed to corrupt Windows operating system, though few Malwares like Lionware and Mare D are designed to infect Linux and Unix. The users need not worry about this, since many PC support providers are coming up with solutions to these newly emerging Malwares.
Harmful Effects OF Malware
Malwares execute lot of hazardous activities on computers including password theft, email advertizing, pop up advertizing, identity stealing, etc. And that is not the end. New Malwares are emerging everyday with new malicious features. However the most common pernicious effects are:-
1. Slowing down or crashing computers.
2. Spamming inbox with advertizing emails
3. Keystroke logging
4. Identity theft
5. Password stealing
6. Deluging browser with pop up advertizing
7. Directing the user to an advertizing website
8. Using the computer as a server in disguise to broadcast obscene files.
Some of the effects of Malware could be quite disastrous, for which network support should be sought.
Types Of Malware
As per the latest study, there are 12 types of Malware and each of which has many sub types.
1. Adware: This Malware displays advertizements on computer.
2. Keylogger: It logs the user’s keystrokes. By doing this it captures the secret information, such as ID and passwords.
3. Rootkit: This type of Malware, installed by crackers, disguises as a core process of the system to avoid detection. Therefore, it is very difficult to diagnose Rootkit. Formatting the hard disk is one option, but the advice of PC support provider should be taken before that.
4. Trojan: It corrupts the sensitive information store on computer as well as system resources.
5. Virus: It can reduplicate itself and spread from one computer to another.
6. Wabbits: Like virus, it replicates itself but does not spread from one machine to another. Instead it damages the machine, in which it is present.
7. Worm: It is similar to virus. The only difference is that unlike virus it does not insert itself in a program or file.
8. Spyware: It follows the user’s browsing habits to display advertizement.
9. Exploits: It attacks security systems.
10. Dialers: It dials phone numbers through the computer’s modem.
11. BackDoors: It provides network connections to hackers.
12. URL injectors: It directs to some particular URLs when the user tries to visit certain URLs.
Network Support For Malware
There are several ways to deal with Malwares,like keeping the operating system and software up to date, updating the anti Malware software, using firewalls,etc. To do all these things, it is always advisable to take the help of PC support providers. Since new Malwares keep coming always, it is very difficult for an ordinary user to keep track of the latest developments. Hence the network support for resolving Malware problems could be of immense help. Nowadays many PC support providers are coming up with state of the art Malware solutions.